Elizabeth has had the opportunity to work at both network and affiliate levels in top markets.
Her internship experience began in June of 2014 when she interned with NBC5-WMAQ Chicago in the Investigative Unit. During the summer, she was able to work side-by-side reporters in the Unit. Her responsibilities included reviewing news tips through phone and e-mail, determining which tips were worthy to pursue and eventually pitching the tips and story elements to producers and reporters. In addition, she was able to cultivate a research method for approaching stories. From running background checks to requesting FOIA’s, she was at the forefront of pulling elements and sources for the piece together.
Here is a list of stories Elizabeth screened from tips, pitched, and were pursued by the Investigative team:
- Report Links Chicago Crime to Streetlight Outages
- Teen Booted From Metra Train at Night Prompts Policy Changes
- Illinois EPA Investigates Large Fish Kill
Here is a list of stories Elizabeth assisted with research:
- Family Files Lawsuit in Death of SIU Student
- Family’s Lawsuit Names Man They Believed Killed SIU Student
- Police Reports Show History of Oak Park Teen Attacking Mom
- Illinois Loophole Allows Felons to Work at Carnivals
During her junior year, she interned at WCIA3, the local CBS Champaign affiliate. While at WCIA, Elizabeth was able to assist reporters in off-site shoots, story coverage, logging interviews, and research. Making routine beat calls and pitching story ideas were also a part of her responsibilities. Towards the end of her time at WCIA, she was sent out alone with a videographer to report, write, and produce VO’s.
This past summer Elizabeth interned at ABC News in New York for the Brian Ross Investigative Unit. Working alongside the Chief Investigative Correspondent Brian Ross, Elizabeth had the opportunity to refine her investigative reporting skills. Focused on gathering the elements necessary from research to contacting sources, Elizabeth assisted producers in the unit to assemble reports. Her role consisted of conducting preliminary investigations and organizing data.
The stories Elizabeth has assisted in range from domestic to international investigations. Big stories include ISIS terror plots, Dennis Hastert Indictment, and Shrimp Safety Concerns.
- Chattanooga Suspect Mohammad Yousuff Abdulazeez Wasn’t on Law Enforcement Radar
- Chattanooga Suspect Briefly Worked at Nuclear Power Plant
- Son of Boston Police Captain Arrested as Possible Terrorist
- Alexander Ciccolo, Cop’s Son Arrested in Alleged Terror Plot, Appears in Court
- Boston Cop’s Son, an Accused Terrorist: ISIS Is a Good Thing
- Questions Longer Over NYSE, United, WSJ ‘Glitches’
- Officials: Facebook, Twitter Not Reporting ISIS Messages
- Despite SC Shooting, White Nationalist Group Not Backing Down
- In SC Shooting, Echoes of Messages ‘Out of White Supremacist Central,” Experts Say
- All US Hostages in Pakistan Could Have Been Saved, Green Beret Says
- Will Shrimp Safety Questions Pose Jumbo Problem For Trade Deal
- Dennis Hastert Pleads Not Guilty
- Dennis Hastert Emerges From Seclusion at Wisconsin Property
- Exclusive: Alleged Dennis Hastert Sex Abuse Victim Name by Family
- FIFA Officials Arrested Over Alleged ‘Rampant, Systematic’ $150M Bribery Scheme